October is community support services month, and these agencies support nearly one million Ontarians each year including seniors and people with disabilities. They help clients live independently in their own homes and communities as long as possible, and reduce the burden on family caregivers and other parts of the health care system.
The sector employs over 20,000 people and engages up to 100,000 volunteers. Each year, they deliver nearly 3 million meals, provide 2 million rides to medical appointments, and serve 30,000 Ontarians in adult day programs and 25,000 with assisted living services. Agencies receive partial government funding, but are also supported by community foundations, individual donations and thousands of dedicated volunteers.
Community Care for South Hastings (CCSH) is a community home support agency – with the emphasis being on “home” and keeping you safely and independently in yours. We have only 10 staff, 2 offices, and almost 500 volunteers. We provide a number of invaluable services to the community and we hope you will join us this month as we celebrate our special days of awareness.
• October 1st to 7th – Meals on Wheels Week – being able to provide nutritious meals to the seniors in our community is a great source of pride for our agency. You can have them delivered hot to your door 4 days per week or we can provide delivered frozen meals once per week if that would better suit your schedule. OR you can really be adventuresome and use both programs so you never have to cook again!
• October 4th – Congregate Dining Day – if you act quickly, you can still sign up for the Belleville group on October 3rd – call Joanne at 613-969-0130 and the Deseronto group will be gathering for a fabulous meal and socializing on October 4th – call Lisa at 613-396-6591.
• October 8th to 14th – Medical Transportation Services Week – perhaps you still drive around town and think this service is not for you. Well, even if you are only a seasonal and local driver, we can still provide reliable escorted transportation for your winter and out of town rides. Call Deb at 613-969-0130 for more information.
• October 11th – Client Intervention and Assistance Services Day – it does not matter what day it is – CCSH is always there to provide information, support, guidance and referrals as appropriate. Just call.
• October 13th – Friendly Visiting and Telephone Reassurance Service Day – what could possibly be better than being a new friend to an isolated senior?
• October 20th – Home Help and Home Maintenance Services Day – If the Robot vacuum is just not good enough, call us. We have wonderful self-employed people that have been fully vetted by our agency that would be happy to help with the cleaning and so much more.
Why do we want to celebrate? First and foremost, Community Support Month (CSM) is intended to celebrate our service achievements. Many of us are the best kept secret in our communities! Additionally, we want to increase public awareness of what community support services are and why they are an important part of the health care system. If you want to learn more about us and other community based agencies, come to our Open House and Education Day on Friday, October 13th from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Call Lana at 613-969-0130 for more