As mentioned last week, November is National Diabetes Awareness month, and as promised, I am going to share some great resources with you that can be accessed at the Canadian Diabetes Association (CDA) website – www.diabetes.ca. There are a number of printed materials, newsletters, and factsheets that can be downloaded and printed in addition to a plethora of recorded webinars that you can watch at your leisure. Just go to the website, click on the “In Your Community” tab and you will be able to register for any or all of the remaining fall series, as well as accessing all of the past webinars. Here are the remaining 4 webinars in the current season:
- November 18, 2015: Living with Diabetes: Getting & Giving Support
- November 25, 2015: Tax Tips & Diabetes: All You Need to Know
- December 2, 2015: Strength in Numbers: Building Your Diabetes Team
- December 8, 2015: Exercise Tips that Help You & Your Diabetes
There were three previous webinars in the fall series and they are already available for viewing on the CDA website.
- Carbohydrate Counting – Ready, Set, Go!
- Managing Your Diabetes Mindset
- Stand Up for Your Diabetes Rights
Similarly, the CDA hosted a Spring series of webinars and the recorded versions can be easily accessed on their website.
- All About Diabetes – Recently diagnosed with diabetes? Have questions about managing your diabetes? Watch this introductory webinar and find out who should be on your health-care team.
- ABCDEs of a Healthy Lifestyle – People with diabetes are at very high risk of heart disease and stroke. Learn about the ABCDEs of protecting your heart (A1C, blood pressure, cholesterol, drugs, exercise, smoking and stress) and living a healthy life.
- Working the Glycemic Index into Meal Planning – Did you know the glycemic index is a valuable tool to measure the impact of carbohydrate foods on blood sugar levels? Watch this webinar to learn more about the glycemic index and meal planning.
- Why We Should Exercise – In this engaging webinar, you will become familiar with the scientific evidence supporting the benefits of physical activity, learn the reasons why exercise is beneficial for those living with diabetes, become familiar with the different types of exercises and learn how to set goals that work for you.
- Small Steps Lead to Big Results – The trick to making permanent lifestyle changes is setting S.M.A.R.T goals. In this webinar, a Live Well! Bien Vivre! health coach teaches you how to set S.M.A.R.T. goals that will get you on your way to wellness.
Now that I have you hooked on webinars and all the benefits of watching recorded sessions in the comfort of your own home at a time that is convenient to you, scroll through their list of past webinars for such interesting topics as: A-Salt with a Deadly Weapon, The Road to a Cure, The Myth of a Diabetes Diet, Footcare: A Step Towards Good Health, What Really Happens Inside Our Bodies?, Diabetes and Kidney Health, Diabetes Medications and Types of Insulin, 10 Things You Simply Have to Know About Carbohydrates, or Hear Together to Uncover the Diabetes Connection to Hearing Health.
The countdown is on. Our Winter Driving Workshop with renowned facilitator Garry Magwood is scheduled for November 25th at 2 pm. Seating is limited, so call Deb today at 613-969-0130 to reserve your space.